Sunday 15 September 2013

Guest Blog - Uncle Paul

This last week, I was lucky enough to join the intrepid team for the not-quite-final four days of their adventure.



Having kept up with their blog prior to joining them, I was a little surprised when I tracked them down at their 'site' on Tuesday night. On discovering them relaxing in the pool before a casual drink on the terrace at their rather nice hotel, a terrible thought crossed my mind...



Maybe, it had all been a hoax. No cycling, catering, camping, all while overcoming daily challenges. Perhaps they had just photoshopped us into believing, while living it up at a hotel in Spain for three weeks.



Well, now back home with stiff legs and tired out from Gibraltan frolics, I can confirm what I saw and what they have achieved. On the off chance they are too humble to catalogue it themselves, I thought I'd give it a go…



Yes, they took on the huge logistic challenge of planning, then executing, the provision of transport, food and bed for 4 riders and 3 support teams across 21 days and 21 different locations.



Yes, they raised £5,000 for The Mark Evison Foundation with fund-raising, individual and corporate donations and even corporate sponsorship (a free support van for the duration of the trip amongst other things !).

Yes, they trained themselves from 'non-cyclists' to serious tour cyclists self-powering themselves the equivalent of London-Oxford every day (with 3 mountain ranges thrown in).



Yes, they mustered a social media campaign fit for a professional business with website, twitter, facebook and blog.

Yes, they even met His Excellency, The Governor of Gibraltar.



And, yes, of course, they tore it up in Biarritz, Madrid and Gibraltar.

It was an honour to ride this week with them. It was a thrill to both lead out the thunder train and to be dropped on the odd hill.



If I had to put my finger on how they managed all this, I'd say they got the blend just right - commitment, good-humour, discipline and a healthy dose of 'can-do, ****-you'.

Paul.

- @Access2a
- www.access2africa.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment